There’s an old Chinese proverb that you’ve probably heard many times, its reads: “The best time to plant a tree was 20 years ago. The second best time is now.”
Buy why is it so important that we plant trees? Here are just a few reasons:
* Trees help fight climate change by absorbing the carbon dioxide in the atmosphere.
* Trees can save you money by reduce your cooling costs up to 12% by shading your home in the summer.
* Trees create habitats for a variety of species; providing food, protection, and homes for many birds and mammals.
* Trees improve our air quality by filtering harmful dust and pollutants such as ozone, carbon monoxide, and sulfur dioxide from the air we breathe.
* Neighborhoods with abundant trees have significantly lower crime than those without.
* Trees cool the air, land and water with shade and moisture thus reducing the heat-island effect of our urban communities.
* Trees give off oxygen that we need to breathe.
Trees are not just a nice addition to our community, they are an essential part of our lives. This is why we, at IDEAS For Us, have teamed up with the City of Orlando to host a modern environmental event. Join us on Sunday, April 10th for the inaugural Walk For Trees, a 5K walk (or run) around the beautiful Lake Baldwin where every registrant will receive one free tree to plant at their home or anywhere they choose**.
Featuring live music and food, the event is family-friendly and kids 13 and under are free to attend.
** All official City of Orlando residents who participate will receive a Free Tree delivered to their home via sign-up, and Non-Orlando Residents will have a tree planted in their name by IDEAS For Us to create the IDEAS Urban Forest Park.
IDEAS For Us